- You get to meet cool people.
- It is an opportunity for missed connections.
- When the bus is full and I have to stand I like to pretend I am surfing… or riding a magic carpet.
- When riding the 145 Bus down Burnaby Mountain I like to sit in the very back centre seat and pretend I am riding a horse.
- Some people smell really good.
- You get to overhear the funniest and most delightful conversations.
- You can run into people you know.
- You get to see the lower-mainland and the city from above via the Skytrain.
- You can stare at the good-looking strangers.
- You can use your time in transit to enjoy a good book, album or conversation via text message.
- It is an opportunity for adventure : D
Today I got back on the bike! After falling and bruising myself i’m up again! I realized I wasn’t going to make my bus and I needed to get to school for my course so the bicycle was my only option. [SIDENOTE: Speaking of which, I think the bicycle needs a name. Suggestions?] I rode very cautiously and avoided the hill that led to my demise last time. I had some trouble finding the right are of the secure bike lockup that SFU Surrey offers. When I finally did get in there I realized I had no idea how to chain my bike up properly so I hastily tried to copy the bike next to mine. After class I had rehearsal and by the time I was back in Surrey it was 9:30PM and dark out. Since I had a black jacket on and have yet to find headlights I rode mostly on the sidewalks. It was very wet out. I really like the noise it makes when it rains though, and I found it to be quite cleansing for me.
I’m looking forward to my future as a bicycle commuter. I can’t wait to be one of those skinny active people who have the freedom to travel wherever, whenever. I mean workouts, spandex, getting to ring a bell… What’s not to love? Perhaps i’ll be able to give it a good rep and a new image less dorky image… who am I kidding haha x D
Also, while I was out I saw several other cyclists and had an amazing discovery. This is an awesome way to meet people! All of the bicycle commuters I know are vegetarian and they all care about the environment. This could be a great way to make friends and meet like-minded individuals. Futurehusband anyone? hehe.
See you on the road peeps.